Quick guide to creating your first survey – step by step
Creating new surveys in Glow is easy once you get started, so here’s a quick guide to get you going.
For your first survey, we’ll keep it simple.
We’ll cover the creation of a simple survey from a blank page to a published survey – ready to collect responses.
A Quick Overview
- Simply select Surveys from the top menu and select the green ‘Create’ button
- Enter a Title and select your Survey options
- Add your Questions
- Save and Preview your Survey
- When you’re comfortable – Go Live!
Then share your Survey link with potential respondents and as each survey is completed, you can track and analyse results using all the charts, filters etc.
Step by Step
1. Get Started
- As mentioned, just click on the ‘Create’ button to get started
2. Setup your Survey
- Give your survey a suitable Title, one that will make sense to respondents
- Optionally add an image to help improve the look and feel for respondents
- Optionally add some Reference notes for yourself and others you authorise to see
- Optionally choose to give respondents the option to be followed up after the survey
3.1 Add a Question
- Use the ‘+ ADD QUESTION’ button at the base of the form
Note: You can add a ‘New’ question or add an existing one ‘From Library’
- Select the New option from the ADD QUESTION options and select a question type from the choice of 10 provided
3.2 Craft your Questions and Response Options
- Enter your question text and input the response options/choices (where applicable)
- Note: The example below is a ‘Choice’ question type
- You can move Choices up or down in the order using the up and down icons on the right
- Similarly, you can Remove a Choice altogether using the X icons further to the right
- Note: depending on the question type, you might have pre-drafted options to choose from
- Use the check boxes for options specific to that question type – like ‘Allow Multiple Selections’
- Similarly, use the ‘Make Compulsory’ checkbox to indicate whether an answer is required
3.3 Add more Questions
- Add extra questions as needed using the same ‘+ ADD QUESTION’ or ‘+’ button
- To save time, you can opt to use the ‘Duplicate Question’ option in the top right corner
4.1 Remember to Save your work
- Remember to Save your work along the way using the Save button at the top of the page
Note: Once saved, you’re in ‘Edit Survey’ mode. Click on the Surveys icon to see all your Surveys displayed as cards.
The status of the Survey is clearly shown on the card – that is, either Draft, Live or Expired. See Milkshake Survey example below.
- To make more changes, you can select the Edit (pencil icon) option to return to Edit Survey mode
4.2. Preview your Draft Survey
- You can test drive your Survey using the Preview option on the Survey Card or the option in the Edit Survey page
Note: In Preview mode you will see the survey as the respondents will – as shown below (Water Choice shown)
- You might like to make some tweaks to finalise your draft survey, then Save and Preview it again
Note: Preview survey responses are not recorded, Preview is just for you to see how it looks
4.3 Optionally Share your Preview for others to Review
- You can share the Preview by copying and sending the URL (when in Preview mode)
5. When you’re comfortable – Go Live
- Once you’re sure you’re ready, use the ‘Make it Live’ option (shown in blue) to activate the survey
Note: To ensure the integrity of your response data, changes to the Survey are restricted once live.
- The status of your Survey will of course change to ‘Live’ and ready to start sharing to gather responses
- You’ll also notice the updated status on the card for the Survey – with the ‘Share’ and ‘Analyse’ options activated