Quick guide to creating your first survey – step by step
Creating new surveys in Glow is easy once you get started, so here’s a quick guide to get you going.
For your first survey, we’ll keep it simple.
We’ll cover the creation of a basic survey from a blank page to a published and live survey – ready to collect responses.
A Quick Overview
- Simply select My Projects from the top menu, click on your project and select the green ‘+ New Survey’ button
- Enter a Title and select your survey options
- Add your Questions
- Save and Preview your survey
- When you’re comfortable – Go Live!
Once live, share your Survey link with potential respondents and as each survey is completed, you can track and analyse results using all the charts, filters etc.
Note: If you have a free Glow account, your data will only be held for 28 days. After this time, your survey response will disappear. If you would like to keep your data for a longer period, upgrade online in your free account to experience our platform with zero restrictions.
Step by Step
1. Get Started
- As mentioned, just click on the ‘+ New Survey’ button in your project folder to get started
2. Setup your Survey
- Give your survey a suitable Title, one that will make sense to respondents
- Optionally add some Reference notes for yourself and others you authorise to see
- Optionally add an image to help improve the look and feel for respondents
- Optionally choose to give respondents the option to be followed up after the survey
3.1 Add a Question
- Use the ‘+ ADD QUESTION/SECTION’ button at the base of the form and select the type of question you wish to use.
- Additionally, you may select a question from the Library or a section to separate the questions in your survey.
3.2 Craft your Questions and Response Options
- Once you have selected the question type you wish to use, a pop up should appear of your chosen question type
- Enter your question text and input the response options/choices (where applicable)
- Note: The example below is a ‘Choice’ question type
- By clicking on the three vertical dot points to the right of a question choice, you may:
- Move the choice up or down in the list
- Remove a Choice altogether
- Note: depending on the question type, you might have pre-drafted options to choose from
- Use the check boxes for options specific to that question type – like ‘Allow Multiple Selections’
- Similarly, use the ‘Make Compulsory’ checkbox to indicate whether an answer is required
3.3 Add more Questions
- Add extra questions as needed using the same ‘+ ADD QUESTION/SECTION’ or ‘+’ button
- To save time, you can opt to use the ‘Duplicate Question’ by clicking on the three vertical dots in the top right corner of a specific question
4.1 Remember to Save your work
- Remember to Save your work along the way using the Save button at the top of the page
Note: Once saved, you’re in ‘Edit Survey’ mode. When you go back to ‘My Projects’, your survey will be shown as a ‘Draft’ survey until you make it live.
The status of the Survey is clearly shown on the card – that is, either Draft, Live or Expired.
See the example below:
To make more changes, you can simply click on the survey itself to return to ‘Edit Survey’ mode
4.2. Preview your Draft Survey
- You can test drive your survey using the Preview option in the Edit Survey page
Note: In Preview mode you will see the survey as the respondents will – as shown below
- You might like to make some tweaks to finalise your draft survey, then Save and Preview it again
Note: Preview survey responses are not recorded, Preview is just for you to see how it looks
4.3 Optionally Share your Preview for others to Review
- You can share the Preview by copying and sending the URL (when in Preview mode)
5. When you’re comfortable – Go Live
- Once you’re sure you’re ready, use the ‘Make Live’ option in the Share section to activate the survey
Note: To ensure the integrity of your response data, changes to a survey are restricted once it is live.
- The status of your Survey will change to ‘Live’ and ready to start sharing to gather responses
- You’ll also notice the updated status of the ‘’Analyze’ option as it is activated. Use this section once your survey has collected responses to start analysing and finding insights!